Garden Springs Library-Media Center Goals
In the GSE Media Center, our mission is to enrich the elementary curriculum and create a foundation for lifelong learning by promoting literacy and the effective use of information, ideas and technology.
To accomplish its mission, our library-media center:
- Supports student achievement of curricular goals and objectives.
- Provides students and staff with physical and intellectual access to diverse sources of information, ideas and knowledge.
- Stimulates and promotes information literacy through quality instruction, empowering students to become effective readers, information users, critical thinkers, creative problem solvers, and lifelong learners.
- Strengthens effective teaching and learning through collaboration.
- Provides resources that meet a broad range of individual learning styles, abilities, interests, and curriculum needs, including multicultural education.
- Stimulates and promotes literacy in reading, listening, viewing and communicating for both pleasure and information.
- Utilizes technology to address expanding information needs.
- Promotes intellectual freedom and equitable access to information and ideas.
Objectives for the library media program adhere to the concepts found in the Kentucky Department of Education’s publication Beyond Proficiency: Achieving a Distinguished Library Media Program and are, therefore, defined as a function of the partnership between the library media specialist, administrators, teachers, staff, students and parents.